Updated/Edited: 20 Feb 2015
This is one of Grandpa’s (Bruce and Brad’s) Mayflower ancestors. So Erik, Jasmine, Nate, Rachel, Ethan, Abbie, Ashley, Hailey, and Aidan are all descended from this Mayflower Pilgrim. 🙂
I found some records online at Ancestry.com and then someone told me about the site of the Thomas Rogers Society, Signer of the Mayflower Compact, which has a treasure trove of records, and history of Thomas Rogers and his descendants! All the citations you will need can be found at the Thomas Rogers Society website.
It seems that a large part of the information on that site originated with this source: Westgate, Alice W. A. (and revised by Ann T. Reeves), Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: Descendants of the Pilgrims who landed at Plymouth, Mass. December 1620: Family of Thomas Rogers, (Plymouth, MA: General Society of Mayflower Descendants, 2000).
Last Generation in England
A. WILLIAMA ROGERS was born in Watford, Northamptonshire, England about 1540 and died in Watford in 1585. He married in Watford, ELEANOR.
William’s will was dated 1585 and he was buried in Watford in Aug 1585.
Children of William and Eleanor Rogers, all born in Watford:
i. MARGARET ROGERS (possibly) b. 1570 d. 1572
ii. THOMAS¹ ROGERS (Mayflower passenger) b. c. 1671
iii. ELIZABETH ROGERS b. 1575
iv. WILLIAM ROGERS b. 1581
v. JOHN ROGERS b. 1586 d. 1656 married Ann(a) Churchman
Stott, Clifford L., “English Ancestry of the Pilgrim Thomas Rogers and His Wife Alice (Cosford) Rogers,” in The Genealogist, Vol. 10 No. 2 (1989), 143.
First Generation in America
(Bruce and Brad’s 10th Great-Grandfather)
1. THOMAS¹ ROGERS (WilliamA) was born in Watford, Northamptonshire, England in 1572 (based on date of marriage) and died in Plymouth Colony in Massachusetts probably in Jan/Feb of 1620/1 “the first winter”. He married in Watford, Northamptonshire before 24 Oct 1597, ALICE COSFORD.
SEE: Ancestry.com. New England, The Great Migration and The Great Migration Begins, 1620-1635 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2013. Volume 3, P-W, pp. 1597-1599.:
ORIGIN: Leiden, Holland
MIGRATION: 1620 in Mayflower
FIRST RESIDENCE: Plymouth
ESTATE: In the 1623 Plymouth land division Joseph Rogers was granted two acres as a passenger on the Mayflower, for himself and his deceased father [PCR 12:4].
BIRTH: By about 1572 (based on date of marriage), son of William and Eleanor (_____) Rogers of Watford, Northamptonshire, England. He died during the “first sickness of Plymouth” in the winter of 1620/1.
Children (ALL baptized in Watford) of Thomas and Alice (Cosford) Rogers:
i. THOMAS² ROGERS baptized on 24 Mar 1598/9
ii.(possibly) RICHARD ROGERS bapt. on 12 Mar 1599/1600
iii.JOSEPH² ROGERS bapt. on 23 Jan 1602/3
iv. JOHN ROGERS bapt. on 6 Apr 1606
v. ELIZABETH ROGERS bapt. on 26 Dec 1609
vi. MARGARET ROGERS bapt. on 30 May 1613
(Bruce and Brad’s 9th Great-Grandfather)
2. JOSEPH² ROGERS (Thomas¹, WilliamA) was baptized in Watford, Northamptonshire, England on 23 Jan 1602/3. He married in Plymouth Colony, Massachusetts, in 1633 HANNAH _____ (assuming she was his only wife; eldest child of Joseph Rogers b. 6 Aug 1633 [MD 16:238]). He died after 1651 in Massachusetts.
Joseph came with his father, Thomas, on the Mayflower in 1620. In the 1623 Plymouth land division Joseph Rogers was granted two acres as a passenger on the Mayflower, for himself and his deceased father [PCR 12:4]. Sons Joseph and John were each assessed the minimum 9s. in the 25 March 1633 rate [PCR 1:11]. ; appears in “1633” list of Plymouth freeman in vicinity of others admitted on 1 Jan 1632/3 [PCR 1:4]; assessed 9s. in the Plymouth tax lists of 25 March 1633 and 27 March 1634 [PCR 1:11, 28] “Joseph Rogers and John Rogers, his brother,” were granted fifty acres at upland each at the North River, 6 Apr 1640 [PCR 1:144].
Children of Joseph and Hannah (_____) Rogers:
i. SARAH³ ROGERS b. in Plymouth Colony, Massachusetts in 1633 d. 1633
ii. JOSEPH ROGERS b. 1635 d. 1660 m. Susanne Dean (no children)
iii. THOMAS ROGERS b. 1638 d. 1678 m. Elizabeth³ Snow (Constance² Hopkins, Stephen¹)
iv. ELIZABETH ROGERS b. Duxbury in 1639 d. 1679 m. Jonathan Higgins
v. JOHN³ ROGERS b. 3 Apr 1642 m. ELIZABETH TWINING
vi. MARY ROGERS b. Eastham on 22 Sep 1644 d. 19 Apr 1718
vii. JAMES ROGERS b. Eastham on 18 Oct 1648 d. 13 Apr 1678
viii. HANNAH ROGERS b. 8 Apr 1652 d. 17 Oct 1690
(Bruce and Brad’s 8th Great-Grandfather)
3. JOHN³ ROGERS (Joseph², Thomas¹, WilliamA) was born in Harwich, Barnstable County, Massachusetts (was called “Nawsett” until 1651) on 3 Apr 1642 and died in Eastham (formerly Harwich) on 27 Apr 1713. He married in Esatham on 19 Aug 1669, ELIZABETH TWINING.
Children of John and Elizabeth (Twining) Rogers:
i. SAMUEL4 ROGERS b. 1 Nov 1671 d. 3 Dec 1671
ii. JOHN4 ROGERS b. Eastham 4 Nov 1672 d. 10 Jan 1738/39
iii. JUDAH ROGERS b. 23 Nov 1677
iv. JOSEPH ROGERS b. 22 Feb 1679 d. before 4 Aug 1757
v. ELIZABETH ROGERS b. 23 Oct 1602
vi. ELEAZER ROGERS b. 19 May 1605 d. between 20 Apr 1759-6 May 1760
vii. MEHITABLE ROGERS b. 13 Mar 1686/87
viii.HANNAH ROGERS b. 5 Aug 1689
ix. NATHANIEL ROGERS b. 3 Oct 1693 (Ancestor of Cheaper by the Dozen Gilbreth family!)
(Bruce and Brad’s 7th Great-Grandfather)
4. JOHN4 ROGERS (John³, Joseph², Thomas¹, WilliamA) was born in Eastham, Barnstable, Massachusetts on 4 Nov 1672 and died in Harwich, Barnstable County, Massachusetts on 10 Jan 1738. He married in Orleans, Barnstable, Massachusetts on 23 Apr 1696 PRISCILLA HAMBLEN.
Children of John and Priscilla (Hamblen) Rogers:
i. EBENEZER ROGERS
ii. THANKFUL ROGERS
iii. JOHN ROGERS
iv. JONATHAN ROGERS
v. BENJAMIN5 ROGERS b. in Barnstable County, Mass. in 1704
vi. SARAH ROGERS
vii. JOSEPH ROGERS
(Bruce and Brad’s 6th Great-Grandfather)
5. BENJAMIN5 ROGERS (John4, John³, Joseph², Thomas¹, WilliamA) was born in Harwich, Barnstable County, Massachusetts on 19 Nov 1704 and died in Kingston, Plymouth, Massachusetts on 19 Oct 1747. He married in Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusetts on 13 Oct 1732, PHEBE HARDING.
Children of Benjamin and Phebe (Harding) Rogers:
i. JOHN ROGERS b. 28 Jan 1733/34 d. 17 Nov 1747
ii. HANNAH ROGERS b. 5 Apr 1735
iii. BENJAMIN ROGERS b. 6 Jun 1738
iv. CORNELIUS6 ROGERS b. 26 Aug 1739
v. THOMAS ROGERS b. 16 Nov 1741
vi. JAMES ROGERS b. 26 Sep 1744
vii. PHEBE ROGERS b. 28 Feb 1746/47
(Bruce and Brad’s 5th Great Grandfather)
6. CORNELIUS6 ROGERS (Benjamin5, John4, John³, Joseph², Thomas¹, WilliamA) was born in Kingston 26 Aug 1739 and died in Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia, Canada on 10 April 1816. He married in Yarmouth County on 16 Dec 1763, ABIGAIL HOLMES.
Children of Cornelius and Abigail (Holmes) Rogers:
i. ABIGAIL7 ROGERS b. 9 Mar 1766
ii. JOHN7 ROGERS b. 28 Jan 1768
iii. HANNAH7 ROGERS b.
(Bruce and Brad’s 4th Great Grandmother)
7. HANNAH7 ROGERS (Cornelius6, Benjamin5, John4, John³, Joseph²,Thomas¹,
WilliamA) was born in Yarmouth, Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia, Canada on 21 Oct 1772 and died in Nova Scotia, Canada on 26 Nov 1866. She married on 14 Apr 1790, AMOS HILTON.
Children of Amos and Hannah (Rogers) Hilton:
i. HANNAH8 HILTON b. 1791
ii. SUSANNA HILTON b. 1793
iii. AMOS HILTON b. 1796
iv. RUTH HILTON b. 1798
v. CORNELIUS HILTON b. 1800
vi. HENRY8 HILTON b. 1803
vii. ELIZA HILTON b. 1805
viii. STILSON HILTON b. 1807
ix. MARY LEE HILTON b. 1809
x. ISRAEL LEE HILTON b. 1813
xi. LYDIA HILTON b. 1815
8. HENRY HILTON married NANCY CROSBY
9. ELIZABETH ANN HILTON married ALFRED KIMBALL WHITE
10. ELIZA MAUDE WHITE married FREDERICK WILLIAM PAGET
11. ALFRED GEORGE PAGET married NELLIE OLIVE BOOTHBY
MORE COMING SOON!