Updated/Edited: 31 Mar 2015
NOTA BENE! (Note Well!) All of the information on this page is still currently being sourced and documented. It comes from my private research. It is a work in progress. I strive for accuracy but my time is limited and it may be some time before I can document every fact. Please use at your own risk. Thanks! 🙂
This is the ancestry of my Grandfather Claud Franklin ROORK, beginning with his immigrant ancestor, Thomas ROORK, born in Ireland, 1728.
(Claud is Aidan, Lillian, Lief and Callen’s great-great-grandfather and Thomas is their 7th great-grandfather from Ireland!)
First Generation in America
1. THOMAS¹ ROORK, born in Ireland, about 1728; died in Rhea County, Tennessee, in 1835 and buried in the Roork Cemetery at Ten Mile, Rhea County, Tennessee; yes, he was 107/8 years old! Thomas married Susanna, possibly in North Carolina about 1790?
My distant cousin Alice (Roork) Maxson has this to say about Thomas Roork at, “The Thomas Roork family of Meig’s County, TN” at Genealogy.com:
“THOMAS ROORK, SR. 1728 to 1835 Thomas Sr, lived with his wife Susanna in Blount County, TN, where Thomas Jr. and his brother Samuel were born. Thomas SR testified of his conversion from Catholicism to Methodism in Dublin on February 21, 1762. In the years following he was “received into the itinerancy” by John and Charles Wesley and preached in Dublin, Limerick and other places. The Irish Methodist Church has him “departed from the work, presumably to go to America” in 1770. Thomas SR was a Loyalist in the American Revolution, listed with the King’s American Regiment, Captain Robert Gray’s Company, Commanded by Colonel Edmund Fanning.”
From: Irish Ancestors – Methodist Records Online:
“Despite the hostility of many of the clergy of the Church of Ireland, the Methodist movement remained unequivocally a part of the Established Church from the date of its beginnings in 1747, when John Wesley first came to Ireland, until 1816, when the movement split. Between 1747 and 1816, therefore, records of Methodist baptisms, marriages and burials will be found in the registers of the Church of Ireland.”
The King’s American Regiment led by Lt. Col. George Campbell participated in at least one remarkable event, the “Evacuation of Charleston” on 14 Dec 1782. I am not sure if our Thomas Roork was there on that day. Never the less it is an interesting story!
Thomas ROORK, Sr’s gravestone at findagrave.com, shows that his name was spelled ROORK, rather than the ROARK spelling, and this helps to distinguish between the unrelated ROARK families in the same time and area. It is true that some of the later generations of ROORKs changed their name to ROARK, but that is not the original spelling on the earliest records of Thomas ROORK, Sr. and his children and grandchildren.
He was known as Thomas ROORK, Sr, to distinguish him from his son, Thomas ROORK, Jr.. Thomas ROORK, Sr. and his wife Susanna had at least TWO two sons.
Children of Thomas and Susanna (_____) Roork:
i. SAMUEL THOMAS² ROORK, (Thomas¹),born North Carolina*, about 1795.
ii. THOMAS² ROORK, born Blount County, Tennessee, 15 Jun 1796.
*NOTE: The land that is now Tennessee was then part of colonial North Carolina. It became a state in 1796.
2. SAMUEL THOMAS² ROORK (Thomas¹) born North Carolina, about 1795; died unknown, he was still alive on 22 Jun 1860 (time of the 1860 US Census) and may have died in Carroll County, Arkansas; married TABITHA SARAH PHILLIPS, parents unknown, in Blount County, Tennessee on 6 Sep 1816; Tabitha was born about 1797, and was still alive on 22 Jun 1860.
Children of Samuel Thomas and Tabitha Sarah (Phillips) Roork:
i. JOHN M.³ ROORK, born in Blount County, Tennessee, before 3 Sep 1816.
ii. MARY ANN ROORK, born in Rhea County, Tennessee, before 29 Oct 1828.
iii. Abner ROORK, born, Rhea County, Tennessee, before 3 Sep 1830.
iv. James W. ROORK, born, Rhea County, TN, before 29 Oct 1831.
v. Thomas Henry ROORK, born, Rhea County, TN, before 29 Oct 1835.
vi. Nancy E. ROORK, born, Meigs County, Tennessee, before 22 Aug 1841.
3. JOHN M.³ ROORK, (Samuel Thomas², Thomas¹), born in Blount County, Tennessee, before 3 Sep 1816; died before 1870; married PHEBE MAYNARD (Mainard), in Tennessse about 1839. Phebe was born in Tennessee on 25 May 1819.
Carroll County, Arkansas 1860 Census Index:
1126 ROARK, Abner 30 m TN widower; blind; can’t read or write
1126 ROARK, Christopher C 17 m TN farmer [Christopher Columbus]
1126 ROARK, Edy M 15 f TN [b1844, TN]
1126 ROARK, Harriet Elen 11 f TN
1126 ROARK, James W 3 m TN orphan [son of Abner?]
1126 ROARK, Jane 5 f TN orphan [dau. of Abner?]
1126 ROARK, John 44 m TN farmer [John M. Roork b1816]
1126 ROARK, John G 5 m AR [John G. b1854]
1126 ROARK, Joseph W 2 m TN orphan [son of Abner?]
1126 ROARK, Lysander C 11/12 f AR [b 29 Jun 1859]
1126 ROARK, Mary Ann 3 f AR [born May 1857]
1126 ROARK, Phebe 41 f TN [born 25 May 1819, TN]
1126 ROARK, Samuel T 9 m TN
1126 ROARK, Sarah L 14 f TN
1126 ROARK, Susan C 19 f TN
1126 ROARK, William H 7 m TN
885 ROARKE, Nancy E 19 f TN
885 ROARKE, Sam’l. 65 m VA farmer [Samuel Roork born 1795]
885 ROARKE, Tabitha 63 f NC can’t read or write
Children of John M. and Phebe (Maynard) Roork:
i. SUSAN CATHERINE ROORK b. Tennessee on 4 Jul 1840 d. Arkansas, Mar 1923 bur. in Western Grove, Newton, Arkansas, 15 Mar 1923 m. Rev. Green O’Daniel, Jr.
ii. Christopher Columbus ROORK, born, Tennessee, about 1843; died between Sep 1862 and 1865 (probably in American Civil War); married Charlotte Cerena ROSS, Carroll County, Arkansas, after 4 Sep 1860.
iii. Edith Matilda ROORK “Edy”, born, Tennessee, 1844; died, Arkansas, 12 Jun 1883; married John Cornelius ROSS, in Arkansas, about 1863.
iv. Sarah Louise ROORK, born Tennessee, before Aug 1846; married John Henry COFFMAN.
v. Harriet Ellen ROORK, born Tennessee, about 1849; married William R. SPEER.
vi. Samuel Thomas ROORK, (John M. 3) born Carroll County, Arkansas, 4 Aug 1850; died Shawnee, Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma, 2 Feb 1933; buried in Tucumcari, Quay, New Mexico, Feb 1933.
vii. William H ROORK, born Arkansas, 1853.
viii. John G. ROORK, born Arkansas on 14 Jun 1854; died in Pyatt, Marion, Arkansas, Nov 1937; married Rebecca LAMB in Boone County, Arkansas in March 1877.
ix. Mary Ann ROORK, born in Arkansas in May 1857.
x. Lysander Cooper ROORK, born Carroll County, Arkansas on 29 Jul 1859.
xi. Jefferson Davis ROORK, born Harrison, Boone, Arkansas, 11 Nov 1861; died Muskogee, Muskogee, Oklahoma, on 4 Sep 1930; married Sarah F. DABBS “Sallie” in Harrison, Boone, Arkansas on 29 Oct 1882.
4. Samuel Thomas ROORK, (John M. 3, Samuel Thomas 2, Thomas 1), born Carroll County, Arkansas, 4 Aug 1850; died Shawnee, Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma, 2 Feb 1933; buried in Tucumcari, Quay, New Mexico, Feb 1933; married Amanda Melvina MOULDER in Boone County, Arkansas on 22 Dec 1870. Amanda is the daughter of Samuel MOULDER and Nancy LUSTER. She was born in McMinnville, Warren, Tennessee on 11 Dec 1848.
Children of Samuel Thomas ROORK and Amanda Melvina MOULDER:
i Lulia E. ROORK “Roark”, born Harrison, Boone County, Arkansas; died in Heaton, North Dakota in 1941.
ii. William Parker ROORK, born Harrison, Boone, Arkansas on 2 Jan 1873; died Harrison, Boone, Arkansas on 11 Feb `959; married Emma Elizabeth BRYAN, Bellefonte, Boone, Arkansas, 25 Dec 1901.
iii. Nancy Phoebe Katherine Jane ROORK, born Harrison, Boone, Arkansas om 5 May 1874; died Los Angeles, California on 24 Oct 1948.
iv. Lela M. ROORK, born Boone County, Tennessee about 1778; died in Boone County, TN in 1880.
v. Luster Maynard ROORK, (Samuel Thomas 4) “Shorty”, born in Harrison, Boone, Arkansas on 29 Jan 1879; died Duncan, Stephens, Oklahoma on 16 Nov 1953.
vi. Oma ROORK, born Harrison, Boone, Arkansas, on 17 Oct 1880; died South Gate, Los Angeles, California, 16 Jun 1938; married Otis YORK in White Oak, Boone, Arkansas.
vii. TWIN (of Oma), born Harrison, Boone, Arkansas, on 17 Oct 1880; died 1881.
viii. Samuel Thomas ROORK, “Thomas”, born Harrison, Boone, Arkansas, 30 Oct 1882.
ix. Charley ROORK, born Boone County, Arkansas, 1885.
x. Harley Houston ROORK, born in Harrison, Boone, Arkansas, 23 Apr 1887; died in Shawnee, Pottawatomie, Oklahoma, 17 Jun 1961.
xi. Harvey Lee ROORK, born in Harrison, Boone, Arkansas, 19 Apr 1889; died in Shawnee, Pottawatomie, Oklahoma, 22 Dec 1946.
xii. Vertie B. ROORK, born Eureka Springs, Carroll, Arkansas, 23 Aug 1891.
5. Luster Maynard ROORK, “Shorty”, (Samuel Thomas 4, John M. 3, Samuel Thomas 2, Thomas 1), born in Harrison, Boone, Arkansas on 29 Jan 1879; died Duncan, Stephens, Oklahoma on 16 Nov 1953; married Cora Alice DAUGHERTY, Wagoner, Indian Territory (now Oklahoma), on 5 Mar 1905. Cora Alice is the daughter of Joseph S. DAUGHERTY and Amma Falina DOWDEN.
Children of Luster Maynard ROORK and Cora Alice DAUGHERTY:
i. Edcar Roork, b 1906 d. 1906 (died at birth)
ii. Amy Melvina Roork, b 2 Jan 1909 in Oklahoma, d 29 Jun 2004, Duncan, OK
iii. Claud Franklin ROORK, (Luster Maynard 5), born 15 May 1911, Oklahoma
iv. Harold Maynard Roork, b 22 Dec 1913 in Oklahoma
v. Mary Pauline Roork, born 18 Oct 1916
vi. Bonnie Sue Roork, born 9 Apr 1919
vii. William Clay Roork “Bill,” born 14 Apr 1924
6. Claud Franklin ROORK, (Luster 5, Samuel Thomas 4, John M. 3, Samuel Thomas 2, Thomas 1) was born in Grandfield, Tillman, Oklahoma, on 15 May 1911; died in Roswell, Chaves County, New Mexico, on 29 Mar 2005. Claud married Rachel Fay SAMMON in Marlow, Stephens, Oklahoma.
Children of Claud Franklin ROORK and Rachel Fay SAMMON:
For More Information about the ROORK Family:
- Mrs. Eliza Alice (Witten) Lee’s biography includes some references to Thomas ROORK, Sr. She is his great-granddaughter.
- Roork Cemetery at http://www.eachTown.